EGM Minutes, 23rd November 2010

MINUTES OF AN EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL MEETING OF THE LANTAU BOAT CLUB HELD AT THE DISCOVERY BAY OFFICES MULTI-PURPOSE HALL ON TUESDAY 23RD NOVEMBER 2010.

Attending: Joseph Sheih Commodore
John Rempel Treasurer
Simon Ludlow Secretary
And 14 other members of the Lantau Boat Club.
And 32 voters by proxy.
And 8 absentee voters.
Also in attendance., 6 members of the proposed Lantau Island Rowing Club.

ITEM 1: COMMODORE’S ADDRESS

The Commodore welcomed the Club members to the meeting

ITEM2: MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING.

It was proposed that he minutes of the last meeting were a true and accurate account by John Rempel and seconded by Richard Carrey. However, it was pointed out that there was a typographical error in the Commodore’s report. In line three where it says “to remove boats which have now been sailed”, it should read “boats which have not been sailed”.

ITEM 3: THE LANTAU ISLAND ROWING CLUB

The secretary gave an outline of the proposal made by residents of Discovery Bay to start a rowing club to be called the Lantau Island Rowing Club (LIRC) and integrate it within the LBC. The first question made by Richard Carrey was why the LIRC would have to be a club within a club. Bob Wilson from the Hong Kong Rowing Association answered with an explanation that it would be the ideal solution, as the LIRC will need to raise funds through membership fees to purchase boats. The secretary also pointed out that LBC’s landlords, Hong Kong Resorts International delegate the management of DB to the DB Management who consider the LBC to be the sole tenants and are not prepared to negotiate with other water sports clubs. It was also pointed out that all LIRC members would also have to be LBC members as well, just as members of the Lantau Island Outrigger Canoe Club (LIOCC) are.

A question was raised by Stephen Wallace about the perceived problems the LBC had with the inauguration of the LIOCC, and would that have an impact with any relationship between the LBC and the proposed LIRC. The secretary said that the problems stemmed from the fact that the LIOCC was formed by paddling members of the LBC without the knowledge of the LBC Committee and there was no formal agreement between the two clubs. This would not happen with the formation of the proposed LIRC as both they and the LBC would sign a formal agreement which will be reviewed annually.

A question was asked by James Young if the number of rowing boats would reduce the number of boats the Lantau Boat Club were allowed to keep on the beach. The Secretary replied that the agreement limited the number to 70 boats owned by Club members. As the rowing boats will be owned by a club, they are not included in the total, as were the outrigger canoes.

A question was raised by Ross Taylor about the loss of space on the beach which would be caused by the storage of the rowing boats. This was answered by the secretary who described the dimensions of the rack which will be built to store the rowing boats. He also pointed out that there will be space behind the rack to moved dinghies and that the space is not useful for storing catamarans as trees obstruct the masts.

Freddy von der Luhue asked if the rack has been approved why the LBC should not approach HKRI with a request for a rack for the storage of boats such as Optimists. This was discussed and it was decided that there was no reason why HKRI should not be approached with a proposal. Bob Wilson pointed out that HKRI have a legal obligation to provide a certain amount of sporting space which has not been met. There were several options being considered, including the proposed development of a water sports facility on the beach north of the new DB North Plaza.

A vote was then taken on the motion that: “The Lantau Boat Club will invite the Lantau Island Rowing Club to integrate with them”. The voting was as follows.


For: 31 Votes. (24 by proxy/absentee voting)
Against: 25 Votes. (16 by proxy/absentee voting)

The motion was carried.

Item 4: Any Other Business.

Freddy von der Luhue asked if the Club could consider an Optimist training scheme for young sailors. A discussion decided this was a good idea and was in keeping with the Club’s stated aim. Freddy volunteered to submit a proposal for such a scheme for consideration by the Club Committee.

Item 5: Next General Meeting.

To be decided.



Simon Ludlow
LBC Secretary
9549 4399

This entry was posted in AGM/EGM minutes. Bookmark the permalink.